Honington_001.jpg

Honington, All Saints

O
ur lovely church is set in the middle of the village, just off the A1088 Ixworth to Thetford road, and next to the village school.   

Mentioned in the Domesday search of 1086 it has been the focal point of spiritual life in the village for all the years since.

Mostly medieval, it is a building of mixed periods and architectural styles - the result of care over the centuries.  

The 15th century south porch with its flushwork (panelling in stone and knapped flints), and its east and west windows, protects the Norman entrance from the English weather.

The core of the nave incorporates Norman masonry too, although many changes have taken place in its lifetime.

Until 1863 the church was thatched with reeds, then soon after it was tiled.    Re-tiled in 1910, it was then 106 years later re-tiled again in 2016.   

The tower was probably added in the 14th century and contains 3 bells - the tenor weighs about 8 cwt., the second is a pre-Reformation bell by Brasyer, and the treble was cast by John Draper in 1600.    These were re-hung at the time of the Millenium and are now chimed, but not rung.

Just inside the south door is a 14th century octagonal font with beautiful carving.    The once medieval cover, bequeathed by a local, John Davy, in 1487 was replaced in 1889 to commemorate the Jubilee of the then rector, the Revd. William Hind.

On the north wall is a 20th century brass plaque to Robert Bloomfield, born near the church in 1766.   From a very poor family, he went to London at the age of 15 to learn the trade of
shoemaking.   He loved poetry, and started to write his own, working on what was to become "The Farmers Boy", published in 1800.  It sold 30,000 copies, a huge number in those days.   He was respected by London society and by the Prince Regent.   Sadly his publisher became
bankrupt and Robert died in 1832 a sick and impoverished man. 

The stained glass window on the north side was installed to mark the start of the third millennium and the Queen's Golden Jubilee.   It was designed by Pippa Blackall AMGP of Oxborough, and subscribed by local people.   It shows the Holy Spirit and creation at the top, and flows down showing local flora, fauna and aspects of life in the parish at that time.    It also shows the Coat of Arms of the Duke of Grafton, our patron, and that of RAF Honington which played such a huge part during the Second World War, and is now the home of the RAF Regiment.

All Saints church has been loved and cared for by generations of Honington people, and we hope you will visit and enjoy it as we do.

The church is open every day.

altar.jpg  eastwindow.jpg  porch.jpg  pulpit2.jpg

 

CUP_AND_CROSS_SMALL.jpg
Upcoming services in Honington Church and the rest of the Blackbourne Team