fakenham1.jpg

Fakenham Magna, St Peter

Saint Peter's Church is situated in the middle of the village and is listed, Grade 1.  It is probably the oldest church within the Blackbourne team, with a nave thought to date from the late 10th century.  The chancel and tower are 13th-14th century and there are three 15th-16th century bells which were last rung in 1959. 

The present structure reflects an extensive Victorian restoration, including a superb stained glass east window, during which the thatched roof was replaced with its present one of tiles.

The oldest part of the present structure has pre Norman conquest quoins in the north and south nave walls, whilst the bulk of the nave is from the 14th century as is the tower. The chancel dates from the 13th century. Y shaped windows add to the beauty of the building and the fine stained glass in the chancel is worthy of inspection.

A Lychgate was added to mark the Millenium. The churchyard and car park are maintained with the generous support of the Parish Council.

A visit is well worth while as every century since the 10th has left its mark on this place and the church guide, available for a small donation will give a full description to all the historical details.

Please see the church notice board for the key location details.

Like so many of our churches, this one has a very small congregation so visitors to services and extra help in keeping this place of beauty open are greatly appreciated.


fak10.jpg  fak14.jpg  fak15.jpg  fak6.jpg

        

 

CUP_AND_CROSS_SMALL.jpg
Upcoming services in Fakenham Magna Church and the rest of the Blackbourne Team