barnhamchurch.jpg

Barnham, St Gregory

The church of St Gregory is a modest and appealing little building, well cared- for, much loved and in regular use. It stands prominently in the Village Street, within the Barnham Conservation area, and its tower is a focal point from many parts of the parish. It is built of flint with stone dressings and has a steeply pitched roof. The basic structure dates from the 13th century, with the tower a 14th century addition. In the 1860's the 5th Duke of Grafton, patron of the living, had the interior refitted and the north aisle added. In the chancel is a fine 13th century piscina and on the south side of the nave are the arms of William III of c.1695. The churchyard is surrounded by mature lime trees and is still in use for burials. 

As reported in "Suffolk Churches" in 2018: "In the north transept there is a replica of the village war memorial with nineteen names on it, a reminder of quite how many people worked on these estates in the days before technological modernisation.   But to the west, on the north wall of the aisle, is something quite different and really rather wonderful. It is a collage which builds up, house by house, a map of Barnham as it was at the 1911 census. The houses are named, the people named, and those soon to head off to the horror of France and beyond are shown too, proud in their new uniforms. It is a remarkable work, and deserves to be better known".

We installed an eco-friendly composting toilet in 2013, which is twinned with a toilet in Tanzania.

The church is open daily throughout the year. 


longeast.jpg  altar.jpg  eastwindow1.jpg  westview.jpg

 

CUP_AND_CROSS_SMALL.jpg
Upcoming services in Barnham Church and the rest of the Blackbourne Team

Link to Team Service page